It was “Meatless Monday” and the majority of my family was out of the house during dinner time, which allowed me to make any thing I wanted for dinner. I made the red, white, and blue quinoa I had picked up the other day, but had never tried. It’s actually called tricolored quinoa. I wanted to add something with a flavor pop: sun dried tomatoes. I also had an entire container of mushrooms calling my name, “Holly...eat us...no one else will.” I obliged. Call me a sympathetic, but when mushrooms ask for help, I answer. The rest just fell into place as I danced around my pantry looking for ingredients to toss in. It’s actually a beautiful dish in real life.
My youngest son is quite excitable, and when I said we were having quinoa he started chanting. “Keen-wa, Keen-wa, Keen-wa,” with fists in the air. I didn’t quite understand the excitement, but who am I to judge a half-naked toddler and his chants? I decided to join in (I kept my clothes on). Inevitably, he asked for cookies before dinner was completely eaten, and I found myself saying: “You can’t have any cookies until you eat your quinoa.” That was like a slap in the face. I had just unintentionally modernized the lyrics of Pink Floyd’s Another Brick in The Wall ("you can't have any pudding..."). I like Pink Floyd....I was mad at myself long enough to make fun of myself and post it to Facebook, but I recovered. No Rowan, eat your dinner first.
p.s. Despite how awesome I might appear online, mistakes happen. If you happen to spot one on this recipe, save your fellow cooks a disaster and let me know by using the contact form.
Sun Dried Tomato and Mushroom Quinoa
- Prepare the quinoa as the bag suggests using vegetable broth rather than water; set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. (I used the olive oil from the jar of sun dried tomatoes.)
- Sauté the minced garlic and mushrooms in the heated oil until golden brown.
- To the skillet, add the quinoa, tomatoes, Italian dressing, crushed red pepper, and salt.
- Turn the heat to low and cook an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
Check out these other recipes